Thursday, April 23, 2015

Time to Tri!

Triathlon season is upon us!  Sierra and I have been waiting for this since last triathlon season ended.  Josh has somewhat begrudgingly been brought along since he went and won his first triathlon and earned a free entry into a race this summer.  Sedona joined the youth tri team this year, though she says she's not ready to race yet.  Yes, FOUR of us are in triathlon training at the moment.  We may need a second mortgage on the house to buy all the food.  So much food.  On the way to the grocery store the other day, Sierra says, "but we just WENT to the grocery store!"  Yes, but you all KEEP EATING.  ALL the time.  (Yes, the irony that I have two bottomless pits while I'm also consumed with the task of getting the third kid to eat at all is not lost on me.)

Then there's the laundry.  First you have the regular clothes everyone wore all day, then there's the workout clothes, and the towels from swim practice and the towels from showers.  There's a constant pile of tech shirts and run shorts and swimsuits.  The dishes aren't much better.  Three meals a day and at least 3 snacks makes for a lot of dishes to wash.  That is, when there's room for the dishes next to the insulated water bottles and the handheld water bottles and the water bottles for refilling water bottles.

Don't forget the standard tri first aid supplies.  Especially on the youth team practice days, we always need a kit that can handle a nasty case of road rash close by.  We managed to avoid it last year, but Sierra's already taken a bad spill this year when she got tangled up with another runner.  She handled it well and finished out the practice, but aside from that initial clean-up, we've had a couple "rip open the scab" moments, so extra large band-aids are always in the car.

The biggest change for me this year is training for the first time with data.  Since garmin released their 920 around Thanksgiving, we were able to get a refurbished 910 (with tri bundle, of course!) much cheaper than they had been in the past.  I'm kicking myself for not making this a priority sooner, it should have come before several other pieces of gear I've purchased over the last 2 years.  It turns out when I follow a heart rate training plan, I don't hate running.  I discovered I'd been constantly pushing too hard without ever going slow enough to build a good aerobic base.  Basically, every run was miserable and I wasn't making any progress, so I didn't want to do it.  Following a heart rate training plan, I've found I'm not tempted to cut runs short and even though I'm still very much slow, I feel the success of completing the workout as scheduled and I have a lot of hope that I will soon be faster.  I dare say running is......enjoyable.  It's also been great to have specific data on the bike and swim as well so I know exactly where I'm at and where I'm going.  I'm driven by reaching goals and this gives me concrete goals.  No more estimating and fooling myself, it's all right there in black and white and I know it's going to improve my endurance and speed.

Bring on the summer training days!!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...