Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Gingerbread Houses!

The older I get, the better I am about setting limits and saying no when I need to.  This year, it was saying no to our annual gingerbread house party.  I kept thinking of ways to make it work, but in the end, I made the decision that doing a whole party was just going to be too much in the midst of everything else that was going on.  Along with this, I also decided it was a graham cracker house year for our own girls.  As is usually the case with these amazing kids, they totally understood dropping the party and were just as happy with graham crackers as they are with "real" houses. 

So very last minute Monday night, we assembled and decorated graham cracker houses all at one time!
To join two graham crackers side by side (which enabled a bigger house), I put a line of icing down the "seam" and stuck on half a graham cracker.  This reinforced and held the two pieces together and the extra piece was hidden inside the house when it was all assembled.
Just like at our parties, dots were the candy everyone was most excited about when they first started.
Secora is a big, "I can do it my own self!!" four year old now.  We were NOT allowed to help at any point.
Sierra's starting to get a little more design conscious, though "use as much candy as possible" is still a primary goal.


"Stay right there tree, don't you even think about falling down!"



"Okay girls, it's really bedtime now, so you can keep decorating, but we need to stop eating the candy"
"Secora!  We just said we're not eating anymore candy!"
"I know, but it doesn't fit, I had to make it smaller"
(I'm not entirely sure just how many pieces of candy were sampled before they were added on, but I'd suggest not taking candy off her house)



It may not have been quite as exciting as a big party, but even kids understand the need to scale back traditions sometimes.  The holidays are about family, it's okay to set limits on what you can do so that you can still ENJOY those traditions with family!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...