Thursday, December 11, 2014

Creeper Quilt

The Love Quilt I'm working on has been set aside temporarily in favor of Christmas sewing projects.  First up was the creeper quilt for a friend.  She had seen similar quilts on pinterest and loved the idea for her son.  I said I'd put it together for her if she bought the materials.

We decided to use flannel because it was going to be heavier and there were more colors available to choose from.  Aside from the face, there are 6 colors and we used equal amounts of each.  5 of those are greens, the 6th is gray, but we used a light gray and a dark gray (so there's a smaller number of each individual gray)
In between the regular stuff that goes on around here everyday, I got the whole thing pieced together in 2 days.  I was surprised at how hard it was to do something "random" like this.  I had laid it all out so that I could be sure I didn't have the same colors next to each other, but then when I sewed them together, I kept forgetting which way they were supposed to be laid out.  The sewing was easy, but I was always worried I was flip flopping blocks.
And then, as happens with quilting, life got in the way.  I ended up traveling out of town several times over the next few weeks in order to spend time with my grandmother, who was in her last days.  I worked on a long term hexagon quilt project in those hours I was sitting in waiting rooms or was at her bedside while she slept.  Hexagons are an awesome meditative project.

This week I was able to finish up the creeper.  I wanted to quilt it on the machine, but I did not want to use the Flynn quilt frame I usually use because I didn't think I could do perfect straight lines with it and this is a quilt that needs straight lines.  I got brave and for the very first time spray and pin basted a quilt.  Then, using painter's tape as a guide, I quilted lots of parallel lines that followed the shape of the face.  On the face, I used black on top and green in the bobbin.  Outside of the face, I switched to a muted olive green on top and kept the bobbin the same.  The middle of the quilt was bothersome because there was so much bulk to deal with, but as I moved out, it got easier and easier.  I think this was the limit in size for what I can do on my machine without a frame though.
 I did end up with some minor wrinkles on the back, which I had been worried about, but nothing too terrible and I think I could avoid them now that I have some practice with the technique.

When it was all said and done, I think it came out really well.  And I must say, these giant 6 inch blocks were so relaxing after all that time I spent hovering over 1 inch blocks last December!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...