Sunday, March 2, 2014

Triathlon Hiccups

Remember how I set a goal to finish top 10 in my age group at a triathlon this year? And then how the triathlon I planned to do got moved up 3 months?  Along with that, we've had one of the coldest winters in recent memory (I don't do cold unless absolutely necessary, I can't breathe well in cold), I've been sick for about 4 weeks out of the last 2 months (complete with sinus infection and double ear infections) and had a root canal to boot. 

Basically, I've had a lot of excuses to only train very sporadically, and I've taken all of them.  My swimming is in pretty good shape and I have been doing some strength training at home, which I was pleasantly surprised to discover translated into a decent (though not quite top 10) bike ride.  Now that I'm feeling better and the weather has warmed up, it's time to really buckle down and get to work.

This weekend was going to be the start of my new, "no, I'm getting this done, regardless of what else is going on" attitude.  And then I remembered that Josh and I had decided he should referee soccer games for most weekends in March.  For this weekend in particular, that means he's out of town all day Saturday and Sunday.

I can't tell myself, "no more excuses" and then make excuses on the very first day though.  So I loaded up all three kids, the jogging stroller, and lots of water bottles, then we drove to a nearby neighborhood that has an ideal layout for a family run.  We had a relatively straight road 1.5 miles long with good sidewalk all the way, so the big girls could run ahead, take breaks, hang out in one spot while I went to the turn around and headed back and generally set their own pace while staying in sight.  I pushed Secora in the stroller the whole time and sometimes Sedona too (70 pounds in a stroller into a 10mph head wind is just improving the quality of the workout, right?)  

Today my "no more excuses" plan was really put to the test when I was facing a bike ride in the rain with a wind chill of 23 degrees.  I shortened the ride, but I did get out do it.  I actually stayed pretty warm and now I have a little experience in how to handle rain and/or cold on the bike.  The rest of the week is supposed to have yucky weather, so we'll see how long my determination lasts.  I might manage to just flip flop swim days with bike/run days (I have a pass to do a few swims at an indoor pool).

I've only got a month to get my act together and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to manage it.  I have my eye on another tri in June, so worst case scenario, I'll complete this first tri as a warm-up and have a head start on training for the next one!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...