Saturday, January 25, 2014

Time Crunch

One of the hazards of setting a goal to be in the top 10 of your age group at a certain triathlon is that race directors can be fickle people.

Okay, not really.  But natatorium renovation schedules sometimes result in your race of choice being moved up a little bit.  The race I expected to come up in the summer has been moved up a full THREE MONTHS.  So that kinda messes with my plans to pick up the pace and get competitive.  I thought I was going to have about 10 weeks to do some off season work improving my base before I started my training plan.  Instead, my training plan starts THIS week.  To keep things interesting, I had a cold around New Year's that turned into a sinus infection and two ear infections, so on the first week of my training plan I was already skipping days. 

But today I'm getting started and I'm still aiming for top 10 in my age group even if it has suddenly become a tougher goal than I planned.  I'm using the beginner sprint program from TriNewbies, which is the same plan I used last year.  I will be making it a little more challenging though and using some of the training techniques I've learned from Beginner Triathlete articles.

I'm really looking forward to this race, it's the first time I'll be doing any sort of race for a second time.  It'll be nice to know what to expect as far as the venue and basic set-up ahead of time, that takes away a lot of the anxiety for me.  Anyone else have spring races scheduled?  With this change I'm not sure if I'll be doing anything at all during the summer this year, maybe I'll find myself an olympic distance tri to sign up for. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...