Friday, October 11, 2013

Three and a Half Years in the Making

Once upon a time, I had a very misguided notion that I could whip up a king-sized quilt rather quickly.  So in March of 2010, I picked a scrappy pattern, dug through all my fabric bins and sewed together 113 blocks over the course of a month.   Then I began an unusually difficult pregnancy, and we moved across the country, and had a baby, and moved back across the country, and along the way I realized the only quilting design I liked for this pattern had to be done by hand.   It's the hand quilting that really set me back.  Each block took about an hour to do.  I got fed up and took a lot of long breaks along the way.  But today.......the quilt is finished!!!!!!!! 
I used a solid purple binding and stayed up well past midnight last night working on it because once you're THAT close to being done after 3.5 years, it's hard to stop. 
I definitely learned how to quilt better over the course of this project.  I started out making one stitch at a time, and my stitches were pretty long and spaced out.  By the end, I could do five or six stitches at once, evenly spaced and small.   I also learned to think long and hard before deciding to hand quilt such a large project. 

I must not have completely learned my lesson though because I already have fabric in the washer prepping it for my next project. 

5 comments:

Tamara said...

Beautiful! How did you learn to make this type of quilt, particularly by hand?

The Hills said...

A combination of google and trial and error ;-)

Anonymous said...

Throw it in the washer now, then the stitching will really stand out! Congratulations!! Jen

The Hills said...

I'm waiting just a little bit for that. I have an unfounded fear that it might just completely fall apart, and I want to enjoy it for a while first LOL

Marti Kubena said...

It's beautiful! And I'm pretty sure it deserves a congratulations on making it to the end!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...