A while back, I did a huge food stock-up after we sold our truck. I said I was going to blog about it, but then I got busy and I had never written down everything I bought and made, so that post never happened. The short story is that I bought about 50 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts and 50 pounds of pork loin as well as supplies for some things like manicotti and spent some quality time with my Fix, Freeze, and Feast cookbook until our freezer looked like this:
So I got a bee in my bonnet to organize the whole freezer. First, I set two big pots of water on the stove to start boiling. Then, I turned off the freezer and collected our ice chests, insulated grocery bags, and a stack of towels (to insulate some food in a toy chest since I didn't have enough cooler space). All the food was quickly moved to coolers and once the freezer was empty, I set the pots of boiling water inside and closed the lid.
5 minutes later, the ice on the sides had loosened up enough to be knocked off the walls and removed from the freezer. I used more towels to make sure all the surfaces were clean and dry. Once that part was done, I turned the freezer back on and started loading the food back in:
It's been so nice to easily find what we're looking for in there and to know what we have!!