Saturday, September 7, 2013

Freezer Organization

A while back, I did a huge food stock-up after we sold our truck.  I said I was going to blog about it, but then I got busy and I had never written down everything I bought and made, so that post never happened.  The short story is that I bought about 50 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts and 50 pounds of pork loin as well as supplies for some things like manicotti and spent some quality time with my Fix, Freeze, and Feast cookbook until our freezer looked like this:
That's a solid stack of food all the way to the bottom.  No space fillers except the giant sheets of ice built up on the walls.  Needless to say, it was quite difficult to find what we were looking for in there. 

So I got a bee in my bonnet to organize the whole freezer.  First, I set two big pots of water on the stove to start boiling.  Then, I turned off the freezer and collected our ice chests, insulated grocery bags, and a stack of towels (to insulate some food in a toy chest since I didn't have enough cooler space).   All the food was quickly moved to coolers and once the freezer was empty, I set the pots of boiling water inside and closed the lid. 

5 minutes later, the ice on the sides had loosened up enough to be knocked off the walls and removed from the freezer.  I used more towels to make sure all the surfaces were clean and dry.  Once that part was done, I turned the freezer back on and started loading the food back in:
With the ice gone, both baskets would fit and also slide back and forth like they're supposed to.  I put chicken meals in one basket and pork meals in the other. 
Underneath, I used the dividers to group similar items so I know where to look when I want something specific.  I also stacked two dish pans in one section.  One has plain chicken in it and one has plain pork in it.  Breads are stacked on top because we go through those quickly. 

It's been so nice to easily find what we're looking for in there and to know what we have!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've came across your posting through BlogHer.
I know I need to organize my freezer. Adding to the fact that things are put in where they fit, most of the time I forget what I put in. I tried keeping a paper list, using a whiteboard, but I forget to keep tract.

The Hills said...

Thanks for stopping by! I've tried doing lists too, but I never seem to keep up with it. At least having similar things grouped together, I have some sort of idea about what I have left.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...