Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Goals, Results

Well, my 2012 goals ended up a bit lacking.  2012 turned out to be the year of "just getting by" for the most part.  It was the year I learned first hand what a panic attack is and how big an accomplishment it can be to just keep breathing.  Much of the time I was focused on getting through each day, not looking at anything beyond that.  While I sincerely hope I keep moving past that point, I really think it was a good thing to experience.  I have learned a lot about relieving stress and anxiety and have been able to help my 2 anxious kids with that knowledge, so that makes it worth it even though it was horrible to live through.

It's not really fair to make goals and then not follow-up about them though, so here goes!

1) Focus on the garden and harvest at least 150 pounds of food. Just yesterday, we were eating broccoli and cauliflower we harvested from the garden at the old house.  We ended up with a total of 124.75 pounds, 936 chicken eggs and 2 turkeys.  I'd say we did pretty good.  We could've done better, but the lack of winter last year led to major bug problems.  Working in the garden was relaxing and fun until it became an all out battle with the bugs and then it just got depressing, so I opted to focus on learning a little about macro and photographing the bugs rather than lamenting the lost food.

2) Finish my quilt.  I still haven't finished that dang quilt.  I think it's pretty safe to say it will be a very long time before I ever get the bright idea to hand quilt a king-size quilt again.  I still love that quilt.  I want that quilt on my bed.  I didn't really work on it until this fall, so I've made progress, but it has quite a ways to go.

3) Be more consistent in my parenting. Big fat fail here.  If you're barely keeping your head above water, stellar parenting is one of the first things to go.  There's been a lot of mistakes, followed by a lot of cuddles and apologies.  That's good enough and it's gotten us through the year.  But consistency?  No way.  We found a homeschool set-up that really works well, so that was a big success and helps minimize frustrations with each other throughout the day.  We need more routine though.  While the girls need free time, they have entirely too much of it right now, which leads to rambunctious behavior on their part and frustrated yelling from me.  Less yelling would be a very good thing.  

4) The unofficial goal of organizing the house.  Well, that never happened and then we moved to a new house.  The new place is well on its way to being more organized simply because there is storage space galore.  That makes it easy. 

If you're keeping score, that's 0 for 4.  However, I went from being terrified to leave the house all the way back to running all the errands and even taking a few short road trips again.  It took an unbelievable amount of mental work to figure out how to do that and gain control of myself even though I can't control the world around me.  So, I'm calling 2012 a win anyway.  Sure hope 2013 is a little easier, things are certainly looking up lately!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...