Sunday, November 4, 2012

Free Poetry Lessons


I have more homeschool freebies for you today!

Sierra finished her first novel of the year and we have a short lull before she's going to start some books that will tie in with her history lessons.  I decided to fill the space with a little Shel Silverstein.

When I was a teenager, I participated in a group called Poetry Players.  We worked in groups of 3 or 4, memorizing a sizable set of poems and traveling around town to present them (in hugely dramatic fashion) to students at elementary schools.  So, when I broke out Where the Sidewalk Ends, my intention of reading aloud a few of my favorites turned into a bit of an over the top performance.  Both the girls were immediately sucked in and we've been enjoying our impromptu poetry unit.

In addition to reading the full book of poems, Sierra will be doing a few activities:
  • Memorizing and acting out one or two of her favorites
  • Write a poem where every line rhymes
  • Illustrate that poem in blackline, similar to Silverstein's drawings
If you'd like to do a full Shel Silverstein unit, there are a lot of ideas on the website shelsilverstein.com.

I wanted to branch out a little bit, so I put together a poetry packet to introduce (or, in many cases, further introduce) her to couplets, quatrains, limericks, acrostics, cinquains, and haikus.  As usual, I'm providing these worksheets to you for free.  You may print as many copies as you need for your own use at home or in the classroom.  They may not be re-posted partially or fully elsewhere on the web or directly shared with other teachers.  The worksheets and lessons I produce are free because I get paid when people visit the blog, share the link to this post rather than copying the worksheet and I'll be able to continue creating freebies.

Enjoy!

Link to free poetry worksheets

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...