Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts

About a week ago, I bought one of the 2 pound bags of fresh brussels sprouts at Sam's (much cheaper than buying them in the regular grocery stores here) and before I knew it, the "use by" date snuck up on me.  One of my favorite sprouts recipes is this one that uses classic fall flavors, but I wanted to try something different this time. I browsed the internet and came across a promising caramelized brussels sprouts recipe, but it looked too bland, so I used the basic idea and made several changes.

Carmelized Brussels Sprouts
Serves 8 as a side dish

Ingredients:
2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed
2 slices thick cut bacon (or 3-4 slices regular bacon), chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4c brown sugar
optional: extra oil

1. Slice brussels sprouts so you have narrow shred.
2. Cook bacon over medium-high heat.
3. Just before bacon is done, add onion and cook until softened.
4. Add garlic.  You should have some bacon grease still visible in the pan at this point, if not, add a little extra oil.
5. Add sliced brussels sprouts and saute for about 4-5 minutes.
6. Add brown sugar and saute until sugar is dissolved and coating brussels sprouts.  Do not overcook once you add the sugar!

I like brussels sprouts, so me liking this isn't saying much.  However, Sierra, who does not like any vegetables at all and is an extremely picky eater, tried it and said, "hey, these actually have a pretty good flavor.  I mean, I wouldn't eat it everyday or nuthin', but it's not too bad."  It may sound mediocre, but believe me, that is a ringing endorsement!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...