Monday, September 10, 2012

"Sounds Like Life To Me"

Last week was a bit Murphy's Law for us.  Nothing terrible, but several of those "that's life" moments.  One of the bigger ones was the large crash we heard late Monday night.

First, we checked on all the girls, thinking maybe some large piece of furniture had fallen over in their room.  All was clear there. 

Then Josh checked the front yard, while I checked the back.  I found this:
Doesn't look like much, does it?  That limb across the house was not supposed to be there.  Up close, it looked like this:
That's our power line it's hanging over.  The loud sound was the leafy end of the limb hitting the roof:
We couldn't do anything about it in the dark, so we just left it there overnight.  Several years ago, one of Josh's friends died in a tree trimming accident, so we weren't about to take on this problem by ourselves.  The tree is not in great shape, plus the power line was involved.  Less importantly, the house was in the way and I didn't look forward to accidentally dropping a limb through the roof. 

Tuesday morning, we called out the electric company thinking they might trim the branch because of the power line.  Turns out they won't do any work over the house though.  Next, we called several tree trimming companies for quotes. 

The whole tree really needed to come down before we ended up with another limb on the roof.  It took a few days to get organized, but on Friday, the electric company came in the morning to unhook the power line from our house and move it out of the way.  Then the tree trimming guys cut down the tree, we paid them a rather significant sum of money, and the electric company reconnected our power.  We won't be eating out for a while, but all is well.

Josh had the idea to ask the guys to just leave the stump.  He cut steps into it and moved the trampoline over there.  The girls are excited to have an easier way to get in there, there's no longer a big tree dropping leaves and twigs on it, and the weather has been cooler, so the trampoline has gotten A LOT of use this weekend.
The song mentioned in the title of this post is by Darryl Worley and it's worth looking up if you don't know it.  Part of it goes:
I say hey man, what’s going on
He said I don’t know where to start

Sarah’s old car’s about to fall apart
And the washer quit last week
We had to put momma in the nursing home
And the baby’s cutting teeth
I didn’t get much work this week
And I got bills to pay
I said I know this ain’t what you wanna hear
But it’s what I’m gonna say

(chorus)
Sounds like life to me it ain’t no fantasy
It’s just a common case of everyday reality
Man I know it’s tough but you gotta suck it up
To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy
It sounds like life to me

Definitely a reminder most of us could use at times, I know I can let little things start to look like big things if I don't take time to put things in perspective!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...