Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sick Leave

We've got a whole lot germs floatin' around this house.  I haven't decided if Secora is patient zero or if the rest of us picked up a totally different germ at the pediatrician's office when we took Secora in a while back.  Either way, it sucks. 

I remember a time in my life when there were these magical things called sick days.  You got to stay home from school or work and lay in bed and focus on how miserable you felt and how unfair it was that you were all grown up and had to take care of yourself because your mom wasn't around to do it.  Oh how I long for a sick day. 

'Cause once kids enter the picture?  No sick day.  The absolute best it gets these days is if Josh takes a sick day and I hide in our room with a pillow over my head in the clearly misguided attempt to block out the sound of 3 shrieky girls.  The last true sick day I had was when I hospitalized because I was starving to death from hyperemesis gravidarum.  I slept all day and all night while various nurses came in periodically to switch out IV bags.  It was 95% major suckage and 5% bliss. 

But for a regular ol' "my head feels like it's going to explode and I'm coughing so much I'm surprised a rib hasn't broken" sickness?  Eh.  Suck it up, buttercup.  Especially once the kids catch it.  No matter how sick you are, you will jump up at midnight to rock your child when you hear that unmistakable bark of a croup cough.  And if your own coughing is keeping you up anyway, you might as well be the one to share a bed with said child for the rest of the night to make sure her breathing treatment is doing it's job and the wheezing settles down to a reasonable level and stays there. Never mind the feet kicking you in the back, that's just a loving attempt to break up any congestion for you.

I'm optimistic that we're just getting this out of the way now so everyone can be healthy for the vacation we have coming up.  In the meantime, we've got to work on this benefits package stay at home moms get, there are some serious oversights in the time off category.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...