Tuesday, June 12, 2012

2 Miles At A Time

I've decided to kind of, sort of, but not really, train for a marathon.  No, I didn't forget the "half" in front of that word.  A FULL marathon.  Twenty-six point freakin' two miles.  'Cause I've never done one and a really good one will be going on right here in town in about 6 months.  The route literally passes a block from my front door.  I have friends doing the half-marathon and I considered joining them, but I'm really more interested in big races in a "bucket list" sense.  I want to do them so I know I can, and then I'm done.  I've done two half-marathons and a third just isn't very appealing to me.   What I have not done is a full marathon.  Honestly, I'm not sure I want to.  I decided I would go ahead and start training (using the novice supreme schedule on the Hal Higdon site--starting on week 4) and decide a little later on whether or not to sign up for the race.

I also decided that if I got up and ran in the morning, I'd start the day with a sense of accomplishment.  A little kick start to counter any stresses that came up later in the day.  So I set my alarm for 6:45am and got myself out of bed.  That last sentence may not seem like much, but my mother's probably calling my husband right now to confirm this really happened.  I just don't set alarms for pre-8am times unless a job is on the line, and even then, I hit snooze at least three times.

I nursed Secora, pulled out the running clothes that have sat in the back of the closet for 3 months, and grabbed a water bottle and my handy dandy ipod shuffle.  This is my ipod:
Uh, momma?  What is this thing?
No, seriously.  Did dinosaurs walk the earth when you bought this?  It's SOOO 2006
Does it even play music anymore? 

Yes, yes it does still play music.  It makes me reminisce about Saved By The Bell just a little bit every time I strap it on
But in the gargantuan "to run with music or not" debate, I fall squarely in the "need music to get/stay motivated" camp and I'm not a big fan of paying the prices new electronics cost, so outdated shuffle it is!

I was amped up and ready to go.  I opened the door ready to breathe in the crisp, but no longer cold, June morning air..........and was hit with a wall of soup.  I've lived in coastal and central Texas the vast majority of my life.  I've even trained for a long race over the summer.  I could've sworn there was a slight break from the sticky heat if you got up early enough in the morning.  I checked the weather later on and it turns out it was 80 degrees and 94% humidity.   NINE FOUR.  You might as well try to suck in oxygen while running on the bottom of a pool.  But as the mantra goes around here, "it's better than Montana", so I took off before I could think better of it and ran fast enough to distance myself from the house before I could change my mind.

Today was only 2 miles, so it was still relatively enjoyable.  Whether I drag myself out of bed at 6:30 tomorrow for 3 miles in the exact same conditions remains to be seen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...