Thursday, May 10, 2012

Well That's Just Funny

After our butterfly experience this morning, Josh and I started talking about these caterpillars we saw back in March.  At the time, we weren't able to identify them, but we took pictures because there were a lot of them crawling up the side of our house.  They were huge and had giant black thorn looking things sticking out of their body. 

Utilizing some of the sites I found today when I was trying to identify the other butterflies, I finally found out what this caterpillar is.  It's a mourning cloak, or Nymphalis antiopa caterpillar.  I think the butterflies should be coming out right about now and I hope we find some because they look really pretty.  But the funniest part is that apparently, this is the Montana state butterfly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...