Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Pinterest Success

Sometimes I get frustrated with pinterest. Things get pinned and repinned and then you pin them and then you finally get around to trying them and the result is only good for laughs on a fail blog. Extremely frustrating.

A while back, I saw someone had pinned a blog post about creating a fruit fly trap. It's an awfully pretty picture that's on that post and the pin has definitely made the rounds.

Our town is dealing with a lot of fruit flies right now. Seems like everyone I talk to is complaining about the fruit flies or refusing to buy bananas because they want to stay fruit fly free. Well, one of the few foods Secora can/will eat consistently these days is banana, so there's no way we're going to stop buying them. I decided to try out that fruit fly trap and see if it worked.

The premise is simple: put a piece of cut fruit in a jar, roll a piece of paper into a funnel (I probably should have rolled it a little tighter so the bottom opening was smaller), put the funnel in the jar, and tape the edges

(why yes, that is a research article being recycled for this little project...we're nerds, through and through)

The trap actually worked! I'm so glad this pin was a success. I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping one of these on the kitchen counter for a while and just switching out the fruit once a week or so. Right before I had Sierra, I was working as a research assistant in a genetics lab and we used fruit flies as our model. I spent many, many days in the fly room taking care of flies, breeding flies and carrying out experiments with flies. We just had fly paper up to catch the escapees, but I really wish we'd had these traps on the benches--would've saved me many hours of swatting!


3 comments:

Snyder Central said...

I use apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap to get rid of the fruit flies. They go after the apple cider vinegar (other kinds don't work!), they're too heavy for the now broken surface tension, and they drown. We went from having thousands of them to having NONE in two days.

The Hills said...

Yeah, I tried that first, but it didn't work here for some reason, not sure why.

Marti Kubena said...

We've had huge issues with flys this spring - big and little ones. I've been leaving a glass of wine on the windowsill and it has worked surprisingly well as a fly trap!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...