Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Ovies

Sierra participates in a local youth theater troupe.  At the end of the year, they have a banquet and present Ovation Awards, fondly called "The Ovies", their version of Oscars.  Honestly, Sierra's only 7 and this is her first year, so I may have pretty much ignored all of the information coming out about the Ovies at first.  I mean, the majority of the troupe is made up of older kids.  They cover up to age 18 with a handful of adults also participating to fill out older roles in the plays.  So I was thinking Sierra, being one of the youngest participants, could just skip the night and never know the difference. 

Thank goodness, I finally decided to email the director and ask him about it.  He said we definitely needed to come.  It turns out Sierra was nominated in three different categories: acting debut; individual performance in an ensemble role and most memorable line. She didn't actually win any of those.  She DID win the trophy for outstanding junior repertory member (the 9 and under group).  She also won a staff select award.  If I understand correctly, this was a pretty big deal and she's the youngest person to ever win one of these.  She won a medal for this award and also got a copy of the staff member's presentation of why she deserved it:
"This year, one person really caught my eye.  As many of you know, whenever we have a major production, it is required that the actors and actresses come to at least one of the work days.  This person came to the work days very eager to work.  Age and size prevented this person from doing the work some of the others were doing, but that did not stop the enthusiasm.  I remember one of the days I was working on the window for the front.  I asked this person to help me color in the poster I was working on.  I am  not sure what was bigger, her eyes or the smile on her face that went from ear to ear, despite missing a few front teeth.  After that, every time she saw me working on things for the window, she asked if she could help.  Whenever I see her, she always has a huge smile on her face, making me want to smile too even if I did not feel like smiling.  The only time I remember not seeing a smile on her face was when she played the Prince and yelled at everyone, "Will you jerks knock it off?! I'm trying to sleep!" Thank you for making me want to smile."
Incidentally, that line was also the one that won her a nomination.  I can't tell you how many people stopped us to talk about that line during rehearsals.  Everyone LOVED how she delivered it and she did a great job of keeping a straight face (the play was a comedy and that line got a LOT of laughs from the audience). 

I'm so proud of her for not only tackling the acting roles she has, but also to hear that she stands out for having a good attitude and bringing some joy to someone's day.  Because we homeschool, I try to stay in the background as much as possible with outside activities.  I want them to have a chance to interact with people and participate in activities without me right there since they are already with me so much of the day.  With theater in particular, Sierra has been completely on her own.  After initially checking everything out to be sure she'd be safe, we have dropped her off for every class, rehearsal, work day and production.  She has been on her own, without us there reminding her of manners or guiding her in what to do.  She's made her own choices, taken responsibility for knowing when she needs to be at the theater (and reminding us to take her) and she has clearly shined.  So proud of our little actress both for what she's learned on the stage and how she's handled herself off the stage!
  

2 comments:

Big Fat Gini said...

Way to go Sierra!

Kimberly, you guys have clearly done an awesome job! I hope she continues to enjoy being involved!

Anonymous said...

Sierra is a shining star!! She makes grandma and pa-paw so proud of her.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...