Friday, May 18, 2012

Homemade Sherbet

When I was a kid, my grandmother used to make something that we called sherbet.  It's not quite sherbet, it's kind of in between sherbet and ice cream.  What I love most about it though is how easy it is to make a lot of different flavors.  I have fond memories of my parents bringing along the ice cream maker on one of our vacations and making this up in the hotel room. 

It's easy peasy, all you need is an ice cream maker, a 2 liter of any flavor soda (big red and orange are my favorites), and a can of sweetened condensed milk:
Pour a little bit of the soda (do y'all know how hard it is for me not to just type "coke"?  Here in Texas, every flavor of carbonated beverage is a coke) into the canister of the ice cream maker
Mix in the can of evaporated milk.  Now that I'm the adult, I get to lick the lid of the can.  When I was a kid, my grandmother would claim she didn't want me to cut my tongue and she kept the lid all to herself.  I don't share with my kids either.  I'm just giving them something to look forward to when they grow up.
Add in the rest of the soda and stir
Freeze according to the directions for the ice cream maker.  My ice cream maker stops cranking when ice cream sets up, but this stuff is softer and the machine doesn't cut off on its own, so I have to keep an eye on it.  Usually takes about 30 or 45 minutes.
Serve up and enjoy!  It melts quickly, so don't serve until you're ready for it.  We save the leftovers in the freezer, but it does get pretty hard.  Coming straight out of the freezer, we let it warm up a bit so it's easier to scoop.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...