Monday, May 14, 2012

Angel Food Cake

So Mother's Day was yesterday.  We don't do a lot of gifts for grown-ups around here.  Josh does usually get me some sort of potted flowers for mother's day, but I asked him not to this year because they're pretty pricey and we're planning a vacation for the summer and I'd rather the money go for that.  Choices, choices, choices! Instead, I told him I wanted help scrubbing the whole kitchen top to bottom.  This was not a small undertaking, housekeeping is NOT my talent and it was starting to look a little too much like an episode of Hoarders in here.  With my new, wonderfully clean kitchen (okay, we didn't do the stove, because we both ran out of steam, but I'll get to it this week), I had space to bake!

The newest issue of Cook's Country came recently, and I had a bunch of egg whites leftover from making yolk-heavy french toast bake earlier in the week, so I decided to try out their Angel Food Cake recipe.  Of course I made some small changes and substitutions, because that's what I do.  A recipe is a guide, not a mandate!

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 3/4 c sugar
12 egg whites (use the yolks in pudding!)
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.  Run the sugar through a food processor until it is powdery
Remove half the sugar to another bowl.  Add flour and salt to the food processor and process until mixed well
In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar at medium speed until foamy
Increase speed and whisk until whites are fluffy
With mixer on medium, slowly add the sugar you had set aside.  Once it is all added, increase speed again and whisk until soft peaks form

Add about 1/3 of the flour/sugar mixture and very gently fold in.  Repeat until flour is all mixed in
Scoop batter into an UNGREASED pan.  I use an angel food cake pan now (there is an outer ring with tabs that stick up and the center part, along with the bottom, lifts out), but in the past I made angel food cake in bundt pans.  It's doable, but much more difficult to get out of the pan looking pretty. 
Smooth batter and bake about 50-55 minutes, until the cracks in the cake appear dry
Cool cake with the pan inverted (so the cake doesn't deflate)
Remove from pan and serve!

It was the perfect dessert to enjoy after the bacon wrapped pork chops Josh grilled for dinner!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...