Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Is School Over Yet?

I know we're only 2 years into this homeschooling thing, but I think we've set a precedent for spring fever. I feel about the same as I felt when I was the student, dragging myself through that last 6 weeks and just wishing it would be over already.

Last year and again this year, I held Sierra back just a bit in the beginning of the year. If she wanted to do five geography lessons (yes, it happens), I'd limit her to two. I'd limit her to one math lesson a day. I just didn't want her to fly through three years worth of school in one year.

I've decided I'm not going to limit her next year 'cause sure enough, March rolled around and we're all more interested in playing outside than doing any school work.  One of the great things about homeschooling is we have the flexibility to do that.  We've been getting some things done at night or on the weekends.  We've practiced multiplication tables while laying on the couch during little sisters' nap time.  We've rushed through some things to get to more interesting things. 

I'm glad we don't have a specific end date for school because it's beginning to look like we will keep going this way until each subject is finished up.  Some things will be done by the end of April, but others will probably continue through most of June.

The sunshine and the butterflies are just so inviting.  The garden and the sprinklers sing to us. And we have to sing back.  So next year we'll use those really cold and really hot days for staying inside and working ahead because spring is just meant to be spent outside.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...