Thursday, April 12, 2012

Gifts From My Children

Each of my children has given me a gift. A gift that I imagine will bless me for the rest of my life.

Sierra gave me the gift of thai curry. When I was pregnant with her, I issued a decree that Josh was not allowed to cook curry. I then extended my decree to state he must also not eat curry, even at a restaurant, even if I wasn't around at the time, unless he managed to change clothes before he came back in the house. Prior to pregnancy, I didn't like curry, but was fine with him eating it. During pregnancy, I couldn't stand even the thought of it. There was also an unfortunate incident where I craved vegetable tempura, made up a GIANT batch of it and (regrettably) ate almost all of it. I have not eaten tempura since. I did develop a craving for thai curry shortly after delivery though and have liked it ever since.

Sedona gave me the gift of cheesecake. That's right, I had lived all my 26 years NOT liking cheesecake. Or anything with cream cheese, really. I tried it every once in a while, but it was revolting. At some point during Sedona's pregnancy, I began to crave cream cheese kolaches from Kolache Rolf's. I would buy two on my way to work most mornings. One day a co-worker ate HALF of my kolache and then put the rest back in the bag. I'm still bitter over that. Over time, I started craving key lime pie. Then when I was about 6 months pregnant, I had to go to a conference for work. The hotel we were staying at was next door to a Cheesecake Factory. I quickly learned my new craving extended beyond kolaches and key lime pie. These days I can't find a cheesecake I don't like. One of the few things I miss about Montana is the Sundance cafe, which was a block from our house and sold specialty flavor, homemade cheesecakes.

Secora gave me the gift of spartichoke sandwiches. The actual craving with her was anything with vinegar. We have a local cafe that sells a spartichoke sandwich: artichoke hearts, spinach, feta and balsamic vinegar on fresh bread they make right there in their bakery. In the months before I delivered, we were staying across the street from this cafe and I had several of these sandwiches a week, sometimes for lunch AND dinner. The spartichoke is no longer on the menu, but I still order it every time we go and they still make it up without missing a beat.

There you have it, gifts from my children. Yeah, yeah, lessons on love, joy and living in the present are in there too. But thai curry, cheesecake and spartichoke sandwiches are definitely gifts in their own right.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I love the spartichoke! David and I had those on our first date and we get them every August 26th on our dating anniversary.

I hated tomatoes until I was pregnant with Ashley. Now I can't eat them enough. Got to love how they expand our horizons. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...