Sunday, March 4, 2012

Out For a Sunday Stroll

Decided to take a nice little stroll today. For 13.1 miles.

Several months ago, my friend Carolyn started doing couch to 5K. She mentioned possibly signing up for a local 5K race and I scoffed and told her she had plenty of time to train for the half marathon instead. We went back and forth a bit, but I finally convinced her. At which point she started asking me peculiar questions about when I was starting my training. Turns out when you talk your friend into her first half marathon, she just might expect you to run it with her. Shoot.

Nah, I was really on board aside from some grumbling about training in cold weather. We did our weekday runs on our own and then met up on the weekends for our long runs. And this morning we woke up at 4am to get ready for a 7am start.

It wasn't real pretty, it wasn't real fast, but we got it done. I am incredibly proud of Carolyn, she's made some huge diet and exercise changes over the last several months. She's been rewarded by some pretty big improvements in her health and she just might inspire me to give up cut back on the sugar one of these days...

On to the pictures!
There were signs all along the running route. This was one of my favorites. Another was "you trained longer than Kim Kardashian was married!"
Around mile 10 or 11, a couple of our friends and Josh and the girls were waiting to cheer us on to the finish. They had signs for us too...I was partial to the "Don't Die!!!" one (that's my, "yay! supporters!" pose) After a hard morning, we crossed the finish line and collected finisher medals
Big hugs from the girls. Sierra was so excited I noticed her heart was beating super fast. Sedona jumped up and down and proclaimed, "You WON the race!! You got a medal!!!" (no, we didn't win, not even close, but her sweet cheerfulness was a great end to the morning)
Success!!! We're so happy to have met this goal. Now to set the next one...

3 comments:

Marti Kubena said...

Congratulations to both of you! That's awesome. I would love to do another one, but Bryan's schedule is so sporatic right now that I can't get on a good training schedule. It will have to be my motivation after #4! Oh, and I love the signs!

The Hills said...

Well, my last one was 5 years ago (and I didn't keep running during that time). The start of the training schedule was still hard, but it got easier SOOO much faster this time around. It only took a week or two to start enjoying the runs. I've got my sights on triathlons now, but I need to work out how to practice my swimming b/c that's definitely my weak link.

Karen said...

Congrats for both of you! That's not an easy thing to do, I know I've done 2 and working on my third. Good luck with preparing for the tris. you can do it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...