Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Goal That Shall Not Be Named

A few months ago, we happened across a house for sale. We weren't looking to buy a house, but this one was intriguing. We called up our realtor and took a look at it. I LOVED that house. I wanted that house. Bad. We could not afford the house. It had been on the market an exceptionally long time, so we put in a bid for what we could afford and crossed our fingers. The sellers chose to owner finance someone else rather than sell to us outright. I jokingly said, "the nerve of those people putting all that stuff in OUR house!" when the moving van showed up in the driveway.

I won't lie, I still LOVE that house. Should it go back on the market at a time when we can afford it, we just might try to buy it again. But that post I wrote on having perspective applies to me too and several weeks ago I decided it's absurd to be thinking our current house isn't enough.

According to the National Association of Home Builders, the average house in 1950 was 983 square feet. The average family size was 3.6 people, so that 983 square feet was enough for a family with 1 or 2 kids. Our house is 1800 square feet, so it is definitely enough space for the 5 of us. I catch myself thinking it feels pretty cramped and then I remember that's really ridiculous. I've been trying to think of how I can change my perception and make it feel more comfortable here and I've decided the real problem is too much stuff and too little organization.

I broached this idea with Josh a while back and he agreed it was a worthwhile goal, but I hesitated to share here because, you know, then I'd actually be accountable for what I'd said. But here it is, in black and white. I have a goal of working through each room of the house this year, simplifying where possible and instituting organization that a clutterbug like me can keep up with.

There is no attic here, so everything that is kept and stored needs to be organized and neat to minimize the amount of space it takes up in the house. One of the first things I want to tackle is our school area because right now I keep supplies in a small side room off the living room and we work at the kitchen table. The supplies rarely make it back where they're supposed to be, so we need a new system.

So that's the goal: stop making the space look and feel smaller than it is. Without dipping into the travel budget more than necessary. I'm going to try to remember to take before and after pictures and share them as we work our way through the house. With everything else going on around here, I expect it will take most of the year, but we'll get there!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...