Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cauliflower!


Cauliflower is supposed to be rather difficult to grow. This is the first year I've tried it. I stuck transplants in a garden bed that hadn't been used recently, ran a drip line to it and pretty much left it for several months. I pulled weeds occasionally, but did absolutely nothing for pest control. And Voila! Cauliflower has appeared! Cauliflower has to be "blanched", that just means you use the leaves to cover the cauliflower, which protects it from the sun and keeps it white. I knew this, but had no idea how to go about doing it and have never seen it growing, so I searched the internet a bit and it seems you just have to shade it, so I went with the idea of using clothespins to pull outer leaves over the top. Apparently I was supposed to do this a little bit earlier than I did (before I saw the cauliflower), but it doesn't seem to have made a big difference. I'm plotting what cauliflower dish we'll eat later this week, I can't wait!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...