Monday, December 5, 2011

Appreciating Today

We haven't woken up from this nightmare. My best friend's son is still gone.

I still don't know how the healthy 3 year old boy that was just laying in my living room and watching Dinosaur Train a few days ago could be gone.

Almost two months ago, I read this article about living with a child with a fatal illness. I saved it because it touched me and I planned to write about it at some point. The end of the article in particular got me:
"Parenting, I’ve come to understand, is about loving my child today. Now. In fact, for any parent, anywhere, that’s all there is."


Now, more than ever, the article hits home. Of course we have to plan for our child's future. We can't shield them from every disappointment, every unpleasantness, every floret of broccoli. As parents there are times when we insist on eating vegetables before dessert and buying clothes instead of a pony. But we also can't guarantee their future. Nothing we do will ensure that they will be here with us tomorrow.

As Ms. Rapp says, parenting is indeed about loving our children today. We do the best we can to help them through life, but primarily we have to focus on loving them in the present. Everything else comes from that.

Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy has set up a memorial page for Max at http://parentprojectmd.org/maxevans

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...