Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sewing Gathers

My sister-in-law had the idea to use the fabric from her wedding dress to make my niece's baptism dress. I love the symbolism there, so when she asked if I could make the dress, I said, "Sure! Umm...probably. I think so."

Raise your hand if you'd be more than a bit freaked out by cutting apart someone's wedding dress **waves hand wildly in the air** I decided it would be wise to make a practice dress first just to be sure I could make the dress and it would look good and it would actually fit. I also decided it would be wise to brush up on my gathering technique since I haven't made gathers in about 6 years.

Being the age of the internet and all, I hit up my trusty friend google to find a tutorial on sewing gathers. Oh my goodness, did I find the perfect one. THIS VIDEO is priceless. Follow her technique and gathers are easy peasy and nearly painless. So much so that I might just be sewing up a bunch of dresses for my girls to wear next summer. Bonus, her accent is the sweetest thing I've ever heard. I want her sitting next to my sewing machine at 2am chastising me over my technique and insisting I never refer to threads as mere strings (watch the video, you'll get it).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...