Sunday, September 11, 2011

That Day

We all know what today is. And what happened 10 years ago.

I don't really have coherent thoughts on it that I can wrap up into a pretty post with a bow on top.

Here's what I got: I was living on my own at college. I had an early biochem class to get to and I had an assignment due, so I was up getting breakfast and had the TV on. I walked by and saw one tower on fire. I heard something about an airplane, so I called my parents. My dad answered the phone and I asked what the hell was going on. Then the second plane hit. I was in shock. I didn't know if this was fairly isolated or if we would be seeing all out war on our soil. I was irate that the university (with a very strong military history) didn't cancel classes. I went to campus to turn in my assignment and walked straight out of the room again and back home. I felt it was disrespectful to carry on with normal daily activities and I was fearful of being at any public institution.

I've read a lot about what happened and what lead up to it. I strongly disagree with a lot of what has been done to supposedly protect us. In particular, I think the Patriot Act costs us a lot of rights and liberties for little to no gain in safety. It never should've been tolerated and shouldn't continue to exist today.

I wish there was more tolerance and less hate. I wish there was more thoughtful conversation and less 24 hour news. I wish there was more reading and less talk radio. I think of what has changed in the last 10 years and I'm saddened to see extremism and blind anger in many different forms all around me. Perhaps for this anniversary everyone can be a bit kinder to each other for at least one day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...