Monday, July 18, 2011

Fruit Cobbler

I have a pet peeve. Well, I have many pet peeves, which I shall not list here. But the pet peeve I want to talk about right now is cobbler.

I can't stand it when someone slaps a crust on top of fruit and calls it a cobbler. That's not a cobbler. That's a pie you didn't take the time make a bottom crust for.

A true cobbler is made by putting the fruit ON TOP of batter and then cooking it. True cobbler seems to be pretty much a Texas thing. I remember watching an episode of Jeopardy when I was in high school where the answer (question?) was "what is cobbler" and none of my friends got it. I was shocked.

So here's a great recipe I found for true cobbler. The recipe is to be made with fresh fruit.

Melt 1/4c butter in a 9x9 pan. In a bowl, mix 1c flour, 3/4c sugar, 2t baking powder and 3/4c milk. Prepare 2c of fresh fruit (pit cherries, or peel/pit/slice peaches, whatever's suitable for your fruit)Pour the batter on top of the butter (do not stir)
Put the fruit on top of the batter (again, do not stir)
Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for about 50-60 minutes. The batter will rise to the top
(I can't believe I thought these pictures were in focus when I took them....)


And that, my friends, is a true cobbler. Serve warm with ice cream (preferably Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla).

4 comments:

Leslea said...

If you keep baking like this when you move back, I'll be at your house every day. Thankfully it's right around the corner :-)

Carolyn said...

Wish I could eat some. Stupid gluten. I'll come over with Leslea and bring the Blue Bell! Happily I can still eat that. Can't wait to have you back so we can split a carton or three. :)

Big Fat Gini said...

Cobbler is awesome. My Granny makes the best, and when you pair it with Blue Bell. Yum! I'm so excited you'll be back here soon! Cannot wait!

Tamara said...

Yum!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...