Sunday, June 26, 2011

Have You Heard The News?

I know, I know. I've been slacking..........again.

Mostly that's because we just haven't done anything very interesting. School is mostly out of session around here, and we can't take any road trips at the moment because things are a little up in the air right now. We hope to maybe make it up to Canada for a weekend, but that's iffy and I need to get my passport back first anyway.

In the meantime, we've been packing some boxes.

There are quite a few a ton of details that need to be worked out, but what it all boils down to is we will be moving back to Texas in the not so distant future. I can't share much more than that because I don't know much more than that. There are too many variables on the table at the moment for us to even make definite plans.

I have been thinking about things I will miss and things I won't about rural Western Montana. I won't lie, there's not a whole lot I will miss. Buying local cherries for under $2/pound is nice. The flowers are awfully pretty (and overwhelmingly purple...why is that?). We've visited the local ER twice and had no wait either time.

The things I WON'T miss are worthy of a "Tuesday Ten" list. Only it's Sunday, so let's call it a Sunday Seven. Just go with it.

1. Winter. Duh, you say. Of course I knew Montana was cold, but this year we were greeted with an even colder than normal winter (and spring, and summer). You just can't prepare for the snot freezing in your nose. Then there's only 9 hours of daylight. And dressing 3 children in snow gear to go buy groceries? Not something I'll miss.

2. Feral Children. I don't know why, but I swear the children here are feral. It's not uncommon at all to see kids Sierra's age walking down the street alone, no adults in sight. Or sitting in cars alone in the parking lot. Or the 3-ish year old who fell off a bench face first into the concrete. Complete stranger held the poor girl until dad showed up a few minutes later clueless about what had happened. Tiny toddlers (under 2) walk alone in the parking lot without holding anyone's hand and everyone acts surprised when they run out into traffic. And of all places NOT to let your child play around the traffic, this is one of them. Which leads me to....

3. The Driving. Oh my gosh, the driving. I learned how to drive in Houston. It's not like I haven't dealt with my fair share of questionable driving skills. I'm completely at ease driving in major cities. These people are completely nuts though. They all think they have the right-of-way. All the time. A friend pointed me to a hyperbole and a half post that covered this exact topic. Only to find out later she actually lived in THIS town when she wrote that post (so I know I'm not the only one who feels this way!).

4. Restaurants. Or lack thereof. Most places only serve lunch. The few that serve dinner close around 8pm. You get a craving for a burrito at 8:30? Sorry, you're stuck with Taco Bell. And while a few places really buck the trend (notably, the Texican--but they're from Texas--and The Sundance Cafe), on average the poor service is rivaled only by the service in central Louisiana.

5. And just the food in general. This is cultural, I know, but the food just ain't my food. Of course there is no Blue Bell up here. Tillamook ice cream is decent, but it's no Blue Bell. The stuff they refer to as "hot sauce" is more like ketchup with a little chili powder mixed in. RoTel is kept in the international section of the grocery store.

6. The book stores, the library, do these people ever read?!? I want to support the little guy book store, I really do. It looks so awesome and homey from the outside. Until you walk in and notice the distinct LACK OF BOOKS. What they have could maybe fill one aisle at a Barnes and Noble. If you put in a lot of forward facing displays. There's more in the "used" section in the back, but those are stacked with zero organization (not even fiction/non-fiction) and while I could have appreciated that at one point in my life, I have three kids and no baby-sitter, so I've stuck with amazon instead. The library is no better. It's only about 1000 square feet to begin with and I'd say over 3/4 of that is fiction. Half of the non-fiction section is taken up by Montana books. We wouldn't want to accidentally end up educated or something. (for the record? Best book store ever is Sam Wellers in Salt Lake City.)

7. The winter. Did I mention the winter? People born and raised in Texas do not belong in Montana. But I guess that's what I get for declaring Utah was cold enough for me and that I'd never move north of the 41st parallel.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

It was not a good idea to start drinking hot tea right before starting the Sunday Seven. Snot freezing in your nose = almost got hot tea all over my new computer. Managed to avert disaster.

So excited about the Hill family coming back to Texas!

The Hills said...

But if you were in Montana in January, you might appreciate snorting hot tea out of your nose ;-)

Lori said...

You mentioned The Sundance Cafe, Hamilton, right? We lived in Hamilton and everything you mentioned is dead on.

I learned to drive in Atlanta with 8 lanes of traffic flying by you in one direction. Those people would be killed if they tried to drive here.

When we lived there, we had 14 feet of snow on the ground. The day we moved from there, there was still 10 feet. We're winter people, so the negative temps and cold really did not bother us, since there is hardly any humidity there.

I felt safe there, it was odd to see how the children were left to wander everywhere. But everyone seemed to watch out for those little wanderers.

We loved the small town charm, using the library was nothing new to me except if you needed to use the computer. That was a joke! The town my family moved to when I was a senior in high school has a library that is worse! Hard to believe, I know!

As for the restaurants~ Naps and the Sundance Cafe were our favorites. The Mexican restaurant (if it's still there) was horrible. The Coffee Cup Cafe was extremely good when we first moved there, but by the time we left it had gone down hill. Try asking about cornbread dressing and see the reaction. And let's not forget, they don't know what sweet tea is.

I do miss the quilt and yarn shops. I was saddened when we went back in 2009 to clear out the rest of our storage building, to see that the best scrapbook store around had closed.

The Hills said...

Small world! Sounds as if you know the place well! The Mexican restaurant recently closed, but two new ones opened up...The Texican (lunch only, run by a couple from San Antonio) and Taco del Sol. We've been to the Coffee Cup once because we heard great reviews, but we weren't very impressed. There have been times I wished I was a knitter, there is a lot of good yarn around and also fiber groups/resources!

The lack of humidity drives me crazy! Having grown up in Houston, I feel like I'm dehydrated all the time here, I can't drink enough water to keep up! ;-)

Veronica said...

Can't wait until y'all come back to where you belong! :) Awesome Mexican food, crazy heat only you can appreciate, and a ton of people who love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...