Monday, May 23, 2011

One Less Skin Issue

I mentioned before that Secora has a bad rash around her neck. I took her to the doctor (our doc was out of town, we saw someone else). He thought it was related to all the eczema she has and he told me to be more careful about hygiene (sorry, but if I was just not taking care of her, don't you think the rest of her would look pretty bad too?) and also to be careful about introducing solids and watching for allergy issues. Even though I've briefly posted about this, I haven't shared any pictures of it. It was bad. It looked like a burn, she was trying to scratch it, and a couple of times she stretched and the skin cracked and bled. At her 6 month visit (with our regular doctor) we had a much more productive discussion. I had been changing her clothes several times a day to keep the drool off the rash, tried aquaphor as a barrier, tried putting the eczema lotion on it. Nothing got rid of it. It gets bright red, then peels the next day and looks like scar tissue from a burn. That's the best it ever gets. Then it just starts getting worse and worse again. Her doctor looked her over, commented about how well I had the rest of the eczema under control (thank you!) and decided she needed steroids. We got triamcinolone ointment and I love it. I think it's safe to say she does too. After only 3 days, she looks like this We can't use the steroids continuously, only for short courses, then she needs a break from them and the doctor expects the rash to keep coming back for a while, but at least we have a way to make her more comfortable now.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Corbin has the same thing on his head. A little patch here another there. It was really bad for a while and it would ooze. Clint's mom told us to try Slipery Elm powder. we packed it on for 3 days, constatly and now it's gone as long as he doesn't get too upset or gets fed banana's. I too have to not eat banana's or he'll break out again. Glad to see she's doing better

Rebecca said...

Poor baby! (and momma!) I'm glad you found something that seems to be working!

treesalldance said...

Poor thing. Glad she is recovering! My babe also has pretty bad eczema which is (usually) under control with a steroid cream and cerave cream and "body wash".

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...