Saturday, April 9, 2011

They Say It's Your Birthday

About an hour ago, I joined the "dirty 30 club". Yup, I am officially 30 years old now. I gotta admit, instead of feeling old, I'm kinda wondering how it makes my parents feel, because I can't quite imagine my own children ever being 30.

The 20's were a rather eventful decade.

In my 20's, having newly walked away from a completely toxic relationship, I went a little haywire trying to figure out who I was just by myself. I graduated college. I moved away and mostly stood on my own two feet (though I distinctly remember having $7 in my bank account, calling home for car insurance money and my daddy assuring me it'd be in my account that day). I convinced my climbing buddy that we should try dating each other. He surreptitiously moved into my apartment and then proposed. We got married, moved again and he started grad school. We bought our first house and had our first baby. We bought our second house and had our second baby (on the same day, actually). I finally accumulated everything I needed to sit for the IBCLC exam. I passed. With flying colors. He graduated and got a job offer in a far away place. We moved again. And had another baby (it's a little trick I have to avoid having to help move boxes. just kidding. mostly.). We decided we are done having babies. We finally reached a point where we put money in savings and extra payments towards the mortgage.

I suspect my 30's will be a little less eventful in the "life changing event" category. It's time to sit back a bit, enjoy my babies and help them with THEIR life changing events when they'll let me. I'm hoping this decade involves more roadtrips, more gardening and fewer life altering decisions. While I don't regret any of it, I think the only part I'll really, truly miss is snuggling with soft, chubby babies, so I am looking forward to grandkids, but let's hope I have to wait until I'm in my 40's to get those!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...