Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Real World" School


Across most of the nation, it's springtime. Actually, even here the stores are putting out displays of sunscreen and beach towels, vegetable seeds and potting soil. Never mind the fact that it's 40 degrees right now and freezing every night...

I saw a sign late last week that a local feed store would be getting seed potatoes in and that got me thinking about gardening. We don't really know much about gardening in Montana and frankly, don't have a lot of interest in spending a lot of time and money learning since we're only here temporarily. But I did notice laundry baskets are on sale for $0.90 at Kmart and I figure if we cut the bottoms out, we can do a little container gardening. I tried finding a planting guide for Montana (I was wildly unsuccessful) and finally came across NOAA's freeze/frost data. Apparently, even very cold hardy plants like peas can't be planted here for another month or more.

The good news is: this gives me time to plan, we still have time to start some things that need some indoor growing time before being transplanted, and I might actually get some brussels sprouts to grow.

Then a post came across the Secular Homeschool twitter feed this morning about the WWII museum's new Victory Garden Curriculum page. We visited the WWII museum during a big roadtrip a couple of years ago. Well worth seeing if you're in New Orleans.

So here is the site all about their Victory Garden Project. If you click the seed packet that says "In the Classroom" at the top, you will get some choices that show up at the top of the page (right where the dirt starts). There are curriculum ideas based on how much time you have to spend on the topic. As a homeschooler, I think I'm going to get the most use out of the cross-curricular activities page. I'll pull out the activities that are suitable for Sierra and have her do them as she helps plant a small garden. This also ties in a bit with the Kit Kittredge books she just finished reading. They are set during the depression, so there was also talk of gardening and food preservation in them. And of course, she's seen plenty of these things at home too and is starting to ask questions about why certain things work the way they do.

I love it when activities that tie in so perfectly to things we're already doing are just dropped in my lap!

Image from the Classroom Victory Garden Project website

3 comments:

One Acre Homestead said...

I'm going to post this on facebook, too! Great resource, and I agree, homeschooling seems to work best when it dovetails with family life. Thanks for sharing this site! Also, I'll be in New Orleans in April & may have to check out the museum!

The Hills said...

I've been twice and really enjoyed it both times. They are working on a huge expansion project and I haven't been since any of that opened, I imagine it's even better now, but of course, admission prices have gone up too :-/

Rhea said...

You are rocking this homeschool thing. We are so random over here. Well...Anthony is a very random kid. haha. This looks like fun though, he's already working on a compost bin, so a garden would be a natural next step for the spring.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...