Monday, March 14, 2011

Cream Cheese Biscuits

This recipe is heavily inspired by the one that appears in the latest issue of Cook's Country Magazine (great collection of recipes, well worth the subscription). Of course, I went and changed it up to suit what I had on hand, so here's my version

Ingredients:
4oz cream cheese
4 Tbsp butter
2 7/8c flour
1/8c corn starch
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 c buttermilk powder
1 c water

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cut the cream cheese and butter in small chunks and put in the freezer

Assemble the rest of the dry ingredients in a food processor
This is what the powdered buttermilk looks like. I almost always use this because it's easier to keep on hand all the time. If you have actual buttermilk, that's fine to use, just add it at the end instead of at this step.
Turn on the food processor just enough to mix everything, then add the chilled cream cheese and butter
Use the pulse button to process just long enough for the mix to resemble coarse sand. Overworking biscuit dough makes for a tough biscuit, so don't overdo it.
Dump everything into a bowl and add the 1 cup of water (or if you're using regular buttermilk, add it now)
Mix until it starts to come together
Dump onto a very lightly floured surface
Knead just until everything comes together. Remember, don't overwork the dough.
Press into a rectangle shape
Cut into squares (I use a pastry cutter). This allows you to use all the biscuit dough without ever rolling or pressing it a second time, which makes for more tender biscuits.
Place on lightly greased cookie sheet (I just spray with non stick cooking spray, and I almost always cook on my stoneware pans)
Bake until lightly browned. The original recipe calls for 12-15 minutes, but I had to bake mine for 20 minutes. I'm not sure if that's because of my ingredient changes or because my oven is running cold.
I've used the same biscuit recipe for 15 years, but a new biscuit has come to town! These are definitely the ones I'll be making from now on.

Note: the cornstarch/flour combo is a substitute for cake flour and makes a more tender end product. The standard substitution is 1/8 c corn starch and 7/8 c flour for every 1 c cake flour

Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays

4 comments:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Yum!! I love homemade biscuits and this recipe looks great!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I would have never thought of putting cream cheese in biscuits. They look delish!! :)

Life Goes On said...

Those look so good. thanks for sharing.

Ott, A. said...

Just Stopping by from TMTT. You had me at cream cheese. Those look delish! I wanted to invite you to check out my Iron Chef Challenge This month's themed ingredient is canned tomatoes, so link up a recipe using those and you could win a prize. It should be a lot of fun, hope you can join us!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...