Monday, January 31, 2011

Homemade Cracker Jack

I found a recipe for Homemade Cracker Jack last week, so I decided to give it a try one night. I made a few tiny adjustments to mesh the recipe with my usual way of making popcorn.

First, I mixed:
1/4c vegetable oil
1/2c sugar
2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp vanilla
I put 3 kernels of popcorn in the pot, covered it, and put it over medium high heatWhen my tester kernels popped, I added in 1/3c popcorn kernels, replaced the lid and removed from heat for 30 seconds
I returned the pot to heat and waited for the kernels to pop.

I messed up here, I should have followed the original directions to shake the pan continuously, but I forgot about that and as a result some of the popcorn near the bottom had a burnt taste. (With regular popcorn, this hasn't been an issue for me, I think it happened here because the sugar syrup is so thick, the popcorn doesn't move as much on its own).

Once it was all popped, I poured it out onto wax paper to coolYummy homemade cracker jack!

3 comments:

Big Fat Gini said...

Yum!

I made salted caramels for our neighbors for Christmas and figured out how finicky sugar can be. That recipe told me to gently swirl the pan too, and not let it get above 250 degrees. After my first batch of what amounted to very tasty rocks, I heeded the warnings and it turned out perfectly!

I think I may try this later in the week. I've got a ton of kernels sitting around...

Aandwsmom said...

That looks GOOD! I am going to try that this week! It would be a hit for afternoon snack for my boys and the daycare kids! We are doing PJ party/movie day for Valentine's in 2 weeks.... maybe this would be good. Wonder if I can add red food color to sugar mix? HMMMMM.....

Katrina
Crazy Online Homeschooling Mom of 2, Daycare Mom of 4, Chicken Mom of 15, 1 Puppy, 1 Psycho Cat and possibly a Partridge in our pear tree!

Mickey said...

Love cracker jacks but have never made them. You make it look super easy :) stop by and enter my first give away.
mickey
http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...