Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!

I didn't get to eat black eyed peas for New Year's. Even after I went to the store when it was THREE degrees outside. I was worried they wouldn't sell black eyed peas (they keep Ro-Tel in the international section, after all...wouldn't want anyone to accidentally add flavor to their food now, would we?). But lo and behold! They had black eyed peas, right there on the shelf kinda in between the beans and the peas, like they weren't really sure where they belonged (garbanzo beans, a.k.a. chick peas, must really throw 'em for a loop). I was happy, I was excited, I reached out to grab a can.

And that's when I saw it.

Right there underneath the can.

Lookin' all innocent and everything.

That little white tag that said they cost $2.49 a can. Two dollars and forty-nine cents. Two hundred and forty-nine pennies. I'm pretty sure that's more than a penny a pea (really a bean, but who can worry about that when you're being robbed blind for a little bit of New Year's good luck?). Coming from Texas, where black eyed peas are one of the few things that thrive in the summer and are therefore abundant, it's never occurred to me that they might be in limited supply. Down south, we say you have to eat your black eyed peas on New Year's for good luck and prosperity. Let's just say spending $2.49 for one can wouldn't have made me feel very prosperous. So I didn't get my black eye peas.

I did make cupcakes though. And I put sprinkles on them, because Sedona loves sprinkles. And I kinda hope she holds on to some of her speech errors a while longer because there is nothing cuter that seeing her light up and proclaim, "Spwinkels! I WUHVE spwinkels!!!"
The "I wuhve spwinkles" face

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...