Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Fried" Pies

Got a phone call from my doctor about that gallbladder ultrasound. The verdict is no surgery for now. I can do a HIDA scan if I want, but I declined because I have not had any attacks and have felt better since she had me start taking pepcid every day. I want to put off doing anything else as long as I'm doing okay and she agrees that's a good idea. Also, one reason gallbladder issues can come up is because your body does weird things with cholesterol when you're pregnant. Because of that, I should have at least some improvement as my hormones level out more. In the meantime, I'm still be pretty careful with my diet. I still eat things like pizza and chocolate, but I don't have large quantities of fatty foods in one sitting. I figure after I go two weeks without an attack, I'll push the envelope a little.

So I was craving sweets the other night and a chocolate bar isn't on the safe list yet, so I decided to make "fried" pies out of the Rather Sweet Cookbook. Again, I won't be sharing the actual recipe because I'm not sure of copyright issues, but really, we're talking a regular pie crust and jam, I'm sure you could find something very similar out there.

Start out by mixing the dry ingredients in a food processor (or you can do it by hand, but food processor is much easier) Add in butter straight from the fridge that's been cut into 1/2" chunks Process until it resembles sand and dump it all into a bowlAdd ice cold water and gently mix (this is like the kolaches, if you overwork the dough, it's gonna end up tough. A light touch is very important) Separate into three balls Working with one ball of dough at a time, roll out to about 1/16" thickness Cut into approximately 5-6" rounds Put 1/2-1tbsp jam in the center of each circle (I used the same cherry jam we had used for the kolaches) Wet the edge of the dough with water (actually, an egg wash would probably seal better) and fold in half, press the edges with a fork, and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet Bake until lightly browned (about 10-15 minutes) and snap photos of your oldest reading books to your youngest When the pies are done, marvel at all the nicely sealed pies that are no longer nicely sealed. Sigh and realize this just isn't your week for things turning out right and be thankful your family is more concerned with taste than looks. While still hot, brush with a basic powdered sugar and milk glaze.

Tasty tasty eating and actually not all that bad for you (as far as fat and sugar are concerned...not a ton of vitamins either though).
Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Yum, yum, yum!

heartnsoulcooking said...

WOW!!! what a YUMMY!!! treat. Became a new follower, come by and visit love making new friends.

Marcia said...

Looks delicious! Thanks for visiting my blog-please consider becoming a follower. More old cookbooks to come!

Big Fat Gini said...

Hmmm...I think I might attempt this, now that I know I can bake a simple recipe without setting my house (or myself) on fire!

Theresa said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my chili. I hope that you are able to try it because it is DELICIOUS!

Your pies look so yummy. I am definitely going to have to try them.

Samantha said...

These looks wonderful, I will have to try very soon, thanks for sharing !!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...