Thursday, January 6, 2011

11 in 2011: Day 6

The topic for today is Best Organization Tricks

Anyone who's set foot in my house knows I'm not an organizer. I would love to have things organized, but actually DOING it is another matter entirely.

I do have a tip though that I read on a random message board and plan to institute this year. The problem is that we have three girls and any clothes that are still in good shape when they're outgrown (which happens often at these ages) get handed down from big sister to little sister. Over time, we've forgotten which clothes belong to which daughter and constantly have to search for the tags to check the sizes. Even then, some of the sizes on clothes are off, so we'll end up putting things in the wrong dresser. I have a picture of poor Sierra in a shirt that's two sizes too small because I spent an entire day wondering how she had grown so quickly instead of realizing it was actually little sister's shirt.

So here's the trick: All of Sierra's (the oldest) clothes get one dot marked on the tag with a magic marker. All of Sedona's (the middle) clothes get two dots. All of Secora's (the youngest) get three dots. It's easier to add a dot when the clothes are handed down rather than try to write initials or names and I don't have to remember which clothes currently belong to which kid anymore. Laundry mix up problem solved!


7 comments:

Caroline said...

The dot thing is a great idea!

Lori said...

That really is a neat idea. I have only one little blessing, but I'll have to share this with my friends that have more children.

MJ said...

The dot system is great!! That's a really good idea and efficient!

Leah said...

Love the dot idea, I"m going to have to store that one in memory for when we have little ones!

Brandy said...

That is exactly why I buy only Gold Toe brand socks now. They have different number of stripes according to the size. I can manage differentiating the clothes, but the socks were trying my patience!

Kristy said...

Yep, kids clothing can be a tough thing to keep organized. Especially when it needs to be saved for the younger one eventually

Kit said...

Great idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...