Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Kolache

Soon after we moved here, someone asked Josh about what food he missed from Texas. Now, I gotta be honest, my knee jerk reaction would've been good Mexican food (well, Tex-Mex to be more accurate). Josh's answer was kolaches and no one knew what those were. He described them and explained there was a pretty big Czech influence where we lived, which really surprised everyone. I think he's right though, just half a step behind Mexican food are kolaches. I miss the days when I drove by Kolache Rolf's every morning. Kolaches were even my first real meal after the birth of each of my children. As a side note, I've recently learned that technically, kolache should be considered plural and the singular is kolach (not that that stops anyone from saying kolache).

So what is a kolache? My favorites are the fruit filled, which is a sweet dough with an indent made in the middle and filled with some type of fruit or cream cheese. I think these are the more traditional ones. You can also get kolaches that are basically pigs in a blanket and filled with some combination of link sausage, cheese, and/or jalapenos. Seeing as how I can't even get a decent donut around here, I definitely won't be finding kolache anytime soon, so I'm left making my own (which is not hard, but is time consuming).

But getting on with the point of my story...it was Josh's turn to host lab meeting this morning, which means he had to supply breakfast for his co-workers. Last time I made pumpkin scones for him to take, but this time, we decided to do kolaches. He came home that evening and said he was going to make them, so I bathed children and he made kolache dough. An hour and a half later, the dough hadn't risen at all. He was ready to throw it away and pull a cheesecake out of the freezer to take instead, but I figured we might as well try to save the dough. The recipe uses scalded milk and an easy place to go wrong is to not let it cool enough before adding it to the dough, so it kills the yeast. I measured a few teaspoons of yeast into about 1/8c lukewarm warm and let it get foamy. Then I worked that into the dough and added a little bit more flour to compensate for the extra water. Presto chango! Kolaches are saved! We filled them with homemade cherry jam and homemade peach butter. Yummy yummy!
I also have a baby fix for you this morning. Here was Secora snoozing away at 9:30 this morning (she's definitely more of a night-owl/sleep late kind of baby so far) Look how chubby her little baby hands have gotten!!! I think Josh might be right about her being a red head, time will tell. The big girls both had black hair at first and ended up blond, so who knows!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow! You guys are ambitious in the kitchen. Secora is getting so chubby. She is really precious, Kimberly.

Carolyn said...

I love this stage when they're still little but starting to get chubby. So cute!

Snyder Central said...

so you tell me you make kolaches, but you don't link to your dough recipe? I've found lots of them, but no good ones!

The Hills said...

It's not available online and I think I'd be infringing on copyright if I posted ;-) It's from The Rather Sweet Bakery Cookbook, which has a fair number of other good recipes as well (and the bakery's in Fredericksburg if you're ever driving through).

The Hills said...

I stand corrected, someone else has already done the dirty work. recipe here. I only use 8 cups of flour and the dough won't be "normal"...it's not like bread dough, it's sticky. I fill with homemade jam instead of making the fillings suggested, or I mix up cream cheese, an egg and sugar to taste and use that. I also don't do the overnight rising. Rise once, punch down, form kolaches, then put in the fridge overnight. In the morning, top with streusel and bake.

Snyder Central said...

Thank you so much! I'm going to print it out and write your notes on it. I think I'll make them this weekend to surprise hubs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...